My Version of Texas Chili- Paleo Style
Sausage Jalapeno Poppers
Sweet and Sour Kielbasa ( this one was a give in, I admit-
sugar content kinda high, but no wheat-compromising)
Red Wine ( here there was usually LOTS of BEER) and Diet Gingerale
The chili and the poppers turned out really well so here are the recipes...
Texas Chili-Paleo Style
2 1/2 cups onion soup, prepared from dry mix
1/4 cup bacon grease
2.25 pds boneless beef round steak, cut into very small cubes
1.5 lbs beef sirloin sirloin steak, cut into very small cubes
0.5lb bacon cooked well and cut up in pieces
1.5 tsp salt
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp black pepper
12 oz tomato paste
12 oz tomato sauce
4 can diced tomatoes
4 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
12 oz coke ( yea I know!! sugar - use diet if u must)
1.5 tbsp hot sauce- I used Franks
1/2 tsp Chipoltle chile flakes
1. Prepare soup from a packet of onion soup mix according to package direction, and set 2.5 cups aside.
2. Place bacon grease into large soup pot ( I used Le Crueset Dutch Oven) over med-high heat, and stir steaks into bacon grease until well browned. Pour reserved onion soup mix over meats and bring to a boil. Then Reduce to a simmer and cook for 7 min. Make sure you stir well to get up all the yummy browned bits off the bottom.
3. Stir in salt, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, chili flakes, tomato paste, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil and stir frequently to avoid burning the bottom. Next, Cover and reduce to low. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
4. Add bacon, cocoa powder, coke, and hot sauce. Simmer 20 min more.
It is now ready to serve if you must. It is really best if you now let it cool, put it in fridge 8 hours or overnight to let the flavors meld, and then serve the next day!!!!!
Sausage Jalapeno Poppers
2 (12) pkg ground sausage
2 (8oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
30 jalapeno chili peppers
1 pd sliced bacon, cut in half ( pre-fry these half way**)
1/4 cup green onions, very finely chopped
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Place ground sausage in large deep skillet and Cooke over med high till evenly browned. Drain.
3. Mix Sausage, Cream Cheese, Green Onions (or chives), and cheddar.
4. Cut jalapenos length wise and remove all seeds. Stuff each half with equal portions of sausage cream cheese mixture. Wrap with half a slice of bacon. Secure with toothpicks.
5. Arrange wrapped jalapenos in a large, shallow baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 min. ( I think I left Mine more like 30 )
**If you pre-fry your bacon half way the poppers will be crispier, if you don't the bacon never gets quite crispy enough**