Ok, I am trying this for dinner tonight. This is one of my all time favorite comfort go to meals in the winter time. I want to make it one last time before it heats up to Spring. I have to say I am starting to really have SPRING FEVER ya'll. But a little part of me still wants a few more soups and stews...
I love warm and comforting foods.
There are so many things about good ol' Southern Style Cookn that is so close to Paleoish-, well depending on your stance on Paleo--
We LOVE us some BUTTER here in the South! Can I get an Amen?
and bacon grease, and bacon in general, well anything pork that we can smoke, or bbq...
(And if you asked the Grandma's we love us some LARD just as much)
----I am looking into starting to render my own lard, as you cannot find it in its pure state here in SC. will let you know how that one goes---
Anyways, back to my story, I am going to try and convert the Southern Recipe for <sigh> Bobo's Red Chicken Stew <sigh> into Paleo Acceptable...( Bobo's is a version that is made in Edisto Beach, SC and it is my fav version)
As I was saying, in the South we love to use butter, and this recipe is not different, I think it actually calls for 1/2 cup of butter to be added IN ITS ENTIRETY as the last step the soup.
However it also calls for an entire bottle of ketchup ( can we say sugar?), and lots of flour.....
This is where the adaptions come in.
NEVER FEAR..... This one will be worth it. TRUST ME, this takes time to make, it sounds odd--
yes 1/2 cup butter at the end,
yes whole hard boiled eggs,
but make it.
again I will say, TRUST ME.
THIS WILL ROCK YOUR LITTLE WORLD!
Erika's Paleo Red Chicken Stew
- 1 large chicken
- 5 cups water
- 4 strips bacon, diced
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 bottle Worceshire Sauce (GF)
- 32 oz primal ketchup)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper ( crank it up or down here depending on your heat tolerence)
- 1/2 cup flour, mixed with water ( I just used some AP GF Flour, or you could use just a GF starch like arrowroot??)
- 6 sliced hard boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup butter
Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 1 1/2 hrs
- 1 Cover chicken with water in a large stockpot, salt to taste, bring to a boil and then simmer til tender.
- 2 Drain, but save the broth.
- 3 Saute bacon until almost crispy, add onion and saute until soft.
- 4 Add 3 c broth, worcestershire, ketchup and seasonings; bring to a boil and thicken with the flour/water mixture Stir in butter just before serving;
Serve over Fluffy Rice, if you do rice occasionally, esp if you need a carbo load after a big workout.Otherwise, make cauliflower "rice" and serve over this.
I take 1/2 scooper and form a "rice" mound in the middle of the bowl and then laddle the stew on/around this.
(I haven't tried to make my own cauliflower rice recipe yet, but try Elana's and check out her site, It's one of my favs!)