One GRITS Journey To Convert Beloved Southern Recipes to Paleo Approved, and Darn GOOD too!

This is my story of how I am striving to change my family's life, nutritionally, for the better. Here in the deep South Paleo is a foreign word. No one has heard of it, and gluten free is really almost as unheard of...
After reading Gary Taubes enlightning GOOD CALORIES, BAD CALORIES I was determine to change! Armed with my own two hands, the internet (thank God for AMAZON.com), and all those wonderful blogs and podcasts available now, I am beginning my journey.
Please feel free to join me as I try to adapt all of our Southern Favorites into Paleo Appropriate Scrumptiousness!!! (and all Gluten Free) I will try to post all of the good ones, and may even blog about some failures along the way.

15 January 2013

Blue Cheese Coleslaw

 SO I am really focusing on lowering my carb intake, and upping my veggie intake.....

I love to make coleslaw mixes, often with added protein such as shredded chicken....
Often my coleslaw mixes are mayo free, more focused on the vinegar...often asian...

This week I felt like making one with blue cheese...It turned out so well. My husband says it is the best yet.
It got eaten so fast there is no pics...but I am posting anyways so I will remember my recipe.

Blue Cheese Coleslaw
1 bag per-shredded coleslaw mix ( or shred your own- I do both, depends on week)
1/4 cup mayonnaise (home made is best,no harmful oils)
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
2 T buttermilk ranch spices (I use Penzey's)
3 T sweet pickle relish
1T splenda (or more to taste)
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese

Mix all together well. Let sit up in fridge for atleast a couple hours, overnight is even better!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly