What does this mean to me?
I am following what I would call a gluten free, paleoish lifestyle these days for myself and my family. Its all about better health, anti-inflammation in so many areas of the body for better feeling better day to day, and preventing a myriad of disease and health problems down the road.
Paleo basically just means eating WHOLE foods,mainly meats and veggies, no processed foods, no refined sugars. Basically going back to the way our ancestors ate in the paleolithic time period. Its simple really. It makes sense on a gut level, but it flies in the face of what even the AHA recommends these days. They recommend eating very high levels of carbs and low fats. Our ancestors ate very low carb and high protein, and high fat diets. Thats a very very simplified version.
I have done TONS and TONS of research, and have found Kurt Harris's views on eating to be most in line with what I believe also. Straight Paleo says no dairy, but I believe that some dairy is fine for some of us for instance. Check out Kurt's site. It is wonderful and full of so much information.
I have found if I keep these Top 10 Rules in Mind then I stay healthy and happy. ( I adapted these directly from Kurt Harris's site)
My Paleo Diet Guidelines-- The Revised PALEO PLAN
(I put these in order!!! So you can start at the top, and eventually work through them and become Healthier as you go!!!!)
1. Eliminate gluten grains. Limit grains like corn and rice, which are nutritionally poor.
2. Eat the right FATS - Eat Healthy animal fats or Coconut Fat (oil) - like Lard, Real Pastured cow butter or ghee, coconut oil...
3. Eliminate Refined sugar. Limit all forms of sugar drastically, but if you use some use NATURAL sources- honey, blackstrap molasses, beet sugar, real maple syrup....
4. Eat Pastured meat. Eat pastured chicken eggs and Wild fish.
5.Get enough Vitamin D.-- daily midday sun or consider supplementation.
6.Eliminate legumes ( beans, peanuts, peas...- occasionally is fine, but SOAK them properly first)
7.Eat when you are hungry-- this is usually 2 or 3 meals a day because with this diet, your blood sugar levels are much more stabilized so you are not constantly hungry!!!! but as Kurt said- Don't graze like a herbivore!!!!
8.Watch your FRUCTOSE intake-- i.e. FRUIT.
9.Adjust your 6s and 3s. Pastured (grass fed) dairy and grass fed beef, and wild fish again!!!!! Most modern fruit is just a candy bar from a tree. Berries are probably the best idea. Eat fruit in moderation, and IN SEASON is best.
10. Proper exercise - emphasizing resistance and interval training over long aerobic sessions. ( Crossfit is perfect) !
( I adapted my rules From Kurt Harris website)